meet the coaches
Jono was born and raised in the Highlands of Scotland in the small village of Ballachulish and was thrust into the world of soccer from an early age.
His talent and love for the game was evident from an early age and progressed to the youth system of Fort William FC at 10 before making his way into the first team at 16, playing semi-professional football in the Highland League.
Jono’s desire to coach also came at a young age and he started working for the Scottish Football Association’s soccer camps in the area at the age of 16.
Whilst at the University of Stirling Jono played and coached throughout his three years of tertiary education.
He was head coach of one of the university’s highly-regarded mens’ development teams, where he progressed freshman players into the senior sides which routinely rank among the best in the UK.
He also acquired valuable coaching experience through the university with local professional club, Falkirk FC.
Jono obtained a Sports Studies Degree at the university as well as his Level 1, 2 and 3 Scottish Football Association Coaching Badges.
After university Jono worked for Falkirk Football Club in a full time capacity at their community foundation where he was Head Facilitator of their Kickstart program. Kickstart was introduced as an alternative for disadvantaged youths instead of going to school. At Kickstart they were taught life skills, provided with job opportunities and assisted with college applications. The role proved invaluable to Jono, greatly developing the social aspect of his coaching. Extremely rewarding, the role sparked Jono’s passion in helping others.
Taking his coaching overseas, Jono spent two years in California where he coached across the state at a number of different academies, coaching a wide range of abilities and demographics.
He moved to Australia in 2015 and quickly became an integral figure at Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs Premier League Team, Glebe Gorillas.
Jono is involved in every aspect of the club and has lived and breathed the club for the last six years. He has taken on multiple roles at the club, with playing, coaching and managing only a small part of his role. He has managed to instil his coaching expertise on those around him, with the club making significant progress under his guidance.
Jono has developed vast coaching knowledge and a range of experiences from coaching across the world. His friendly and welcoming persona will quickly make you feel right at home and quickly forget about his intimidating 6 foot 5 frame.
- Bachelor Of Arts – Sports Studies – The University of Stirling
- Scottish Football Association Coaching Badges – Level 1, 2 and 3.
- Scottish Football Association – Fort William Holiday Camps – 06/07
- University of Stirling- Head Coach – Mens 5s – 09/10
- Falkirk Fc Community – Development Coach – 07/10
- Falkirk FC Foundation – Head Facilitator – 11/12
- Challenger Sports – Academy Trainer – Southern California – 13/14
- Glebe Gorillas – Part Owner/First Team Coach/Reserve Coach – 2015 to Present.
- Ballachulish FC – 2003 – 2012
- Fort William FC – Highland League – Semi Pro – 2006 – 2012
- Stirling University – Mens 3rd team – 2008 – 2012.
- Glebe Gorilla’s – ESFA Premier League – 2015 to Present.